This is my personal blog, started in the fall of 2007 when I took off on a bike trip down the west coast of North America. That was back when I (arguably) had interesting things to say and worthwhile photos to post. Now that I am not doing anything remotely interesting with my life I am not exactly sure what the purpose of this blog will be beyond wowing you with my extensive vocabulary and incredible whit.


The following disclaimer still applies:

Perhaps it is easiest to state what this site is not to be used for, because really, all else goes. It is not to be used by potential employers creeping on my online profile in order to determine whether I am a suitable candidate (I am and you should hire me) nor any other form of sizing up, especially in comparison to Enid, the blogiest of bloggers. Otherwise, it is no holds barred. So, unleash your politically incorrect comments laden with sexual reference and offensive language. I will do the same. Consider this fair warning and an advanced apology to anyone I might offend.


As does this quip:

It is my hope that this site helps us keep in touch, freeing me from writing tedious mass emails, because quite frankly, I can't be bloggered.

Read on!


Thursday, November 8, 2007

So Totally California

There is no doubt about it, I'm in California. I haven't seen or felt rain in three weeks, the highway is lined with surfers changing in and out of wet suits and place names are pronounced in Americanized Spanish (San Clemente = Sanclemeney, San Pedro = Sanpidro). Despite unseasonably overcast and "cool" weather, I am digging this climate big time. The Winnipegers reading this will probably role their eyes and say "but you're from BC" when I say this, but I feel a bit hard done by to have shivered through Canadian Winters all my life. But I do feel hard done by- it is down right unfair. Consequently, I have become an adamant proponent of Cascadia, (a nation-state composed of BC, Washington State, Oregon and California) not for its presumed environmental benefits, but in order to ensure equitable access to warm weather for my northern brothers and sisters. Climatic access is an issue close to my heart; I have long supported the annexation of Turks and Caicos. It's only fair. Access to a warm climate is important because of the activities it enables, activities such as this bike trip and tequila fuelled skinny dipping in the Pacific.
Last Friday I had one of those evenings charged with coincidence and spontaneity that are more apt to happen when traveling. I was staying at a youth hostel in San Luis Obispo (a rare luxury only made possible by a woman I met in Morro Bay who insisted on paying for my accommodation) where one of the staff members invited me out with her friends. Originally we were going to go check out some art show downtown, but after a potluck dinner someone had the idea of a beach fire and a swim. Would I come? Hell yes. So, with The Red Hot Chili Peppers blaring on the radio we cruised to the beach.
Since San Luis I have past through the urban mess that is LA and arrived in San Diego. Today I plan to make a plan for the Mexican leg of this trip. I'm not sure how to ride safely in this area of Mexico as a solo biker. I'm also not sure where is worth going. So, we'll see what I end up doing. Also since San Luis I've had a change of plans for my return. Rather than fly home to BC on the 15th of November, I will be flying to New York City. A slight detour to see Matt Conley. For those of you who are confused, Matt is the guy I was seeing in Tanzania. For those of you who are still confused, don't worry so am I.

7 comments:

LEG said...

I'm a big fan of Cascadia too! As a geography major I feel qualified to tell you that it would be awesome. I think we should probably include Alaska and the Yukon as well. (I realize that these aren't exactly warm weather areas.. but still)

Eric Brown said...

Thank you Leigh! I couldn't remember whether Alaska and the Yukon were part of Cascadia or not. I am a serious proponent of this idea- not joking. If I was still on facebook I would go so far as to start a group.

Eenie said...

Yeah but how much would Canada suck without BC?

Eric Brown said...

What are you talking about? Canada would still have Scarbourough and Moose Jaw! Not to mention Toronto...

Unknown said...

Yah eric! go and get some! go on ya.

LEG said...

There are different schools of thought.... some people want Idaho. I don't think that would be a very good idea.

Eric Brown said...

The Gem State? No body want's the Gem Sate!