This is my personal blog, started in the fall of 2007 when I took off on a bike trip down the west coast of North America. That was back when I (arguably) had interesting things to say and worthwhile photos to post. Now that I am not doing anything remotely interesting with my life I am not exactly sure what the purpose of this blog will be beyond wowing you with my extensive vocabulary and incredible whit.


The following disclaimer still applies:

Perhaps it is easiest to state what this site is not to be used for, because really, all else goes. It is not to be used by potential employers creeping on my online profile in order to determine whether I am a suitable candidate (I am and you should hire me) nor any other form of sizing up, especially in comparison to Enid, the blogiest of bloggers. Otherwise, it is no holds barred. So, unleash your politically incorrect comments laden with sexual reference and offensive language. I will do the same. Consider this fair warning and an advanced apology to anyone I might offend.


As does this quip:

It is my hope that this site helps us keep in touch, freeing me from writing tedious mass emails, because quite frankly, I can't be bloggered.

Read on!


Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Mexico!

Seven weeks ago, on the ferry from Crofton, BC to Saltspring, a guy named Stewart gave me some money to by myself a beer when I got to Mexico. Yesterday I enjoyed that beer in Tijuana.


OK, so Tijuana is hardly Mexico. It's more an American shopping district than anything else, where Americans come to purchase cheap booze, pharmaceuticals and breast implants; as soon as you cross the border you are faced with a sprawling mass of dental offices, medical clinics, pharmacies and liquor stores. But technically, after 2,750km of riding, I made it to Baja California.



I would have liked to have made it further into Mexico, but the more people I talked to the more I was dissuaded from my objective. And so, much to the relief of my parents, I decided it was best to hang out here in San Diego, enjoy what this city has to offer and only make a day trip to the border. And Tijuana is not all bad! There was a certain appeal that gave me a taste and interest for another trip further down the Pacific Coast.







I have a couple more days here in San Diego before I make my way to NY. I have found myself a surf partner who I am headed out with for a second time this afternoon and a few other cyclists that I met on the road have gathered here in San Diego over the past few days. We will definitely get in a few beers before we all head back to our respective corners of the globe or continue south along the coast.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

good on ya eric. I am offically jealous and proud of you for your solo journey! See you soon Chum! Live up NY for me.

Mimi Mirus said...

Congratulations Eric! Your Winnipeg fans cheer you on.
Enjoy your last few days in California and your time in NY.