This is my personal blog, started in the fall of 2007 when I took off on a bike trip down the west coast of North America. That was back when I (arguably) had interesting things to say and worthwhile photos to post. Now that I am not doing anything remotely interesting with my life I am not exactly sure what the purpose of this blog will be beyond wowing you with my extensive vocabulary and incredible whit.


The following disclaimer still applies:

Perhaps it is easiest to state what this site is not to be used for, because really, all else goes. It is not to be used by potential employers creeping on my online profile in order to determine whether I am a suitable candidate (I am and you should hire me) nor any other form of sizing up, especially in comparison to Enid, the blogiest of bloggers. Otherwise, it is no holds barred. So, unleash your politically incorrect comments laden with sexual reference and offensive language. I will do the same. Consider this fair warning and an advanced apology to anyone I might offend.


As does this quip:

It is my hope that this site helps us keep in touch, freeing me from writing tedious mass emails, because quite frankly, I can't be bloggered.

Read on!


Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Anteater Pinata for Leigh's 26th

On January 3rd we celebrated Leigh's 26th birthday. That's right, 26! Leigh is almost thirty, which means she is almost dead. So, in order to liven up what could have been a very somber event, Grachel (that is Graeme + Rachel) and I decided to make her a pinata in the shape of an anteater!

Now, anyone who has made a pinata before knows that you usually paper mache a balloon, add appendages, let it dry and paint/decorate before you cut into the hardened sphere to add the goods, usually candy. You then have to cover up any evidence of the operation. It is a bit of a process, but we were determined.


Things started out pretty rough. The first balloon we blew up popped when we tried to relocate a leg. The second ended in disaster when we tried to speed up the drying time. In retrospect we should have known it wasn't a good idea to bake the paper mache balloon in the oven. Graeme especially should have known; he has a B.Sc. whereas I have a BA and thus, can be excused. It remains a mystery whether the balloon popped because it got too close to the element or because of the expanding air inside.


Whatever the mechanism of injury was, it was clear we were going to have to be creative. For this, Rachel has to be given all the credit. Graeme and I were quite ready to give up, buy Leigh a gift card and call it a day, but Resourceful Rachel kept us on task. In the end we built the anteater's body out of a cut up pizza box and used the original paper mache tail and nose.

We think it turned out pretty awesome, if somewhat indestructible.

From this point forward the photos get a little blurry... This is Leigh having a second try at smashing the anteater after we berated her for her weak first swing. It turns out that nobody could do much damage to this tank of a pinata, not even Adrian, though he did bend the broom stick and put a serious dent in Larlen's wall. (NB: Larlen = Leigh+Arlen)

In the end we decided to play a somewhat morbid version of the popular holiday present game, where by you tear the package open using a fork and knife whilst wearing oven mitts. I swear, it's a thing.


I think our pinata really cheered Leigh up on the eve of her 26th.

5 comments:

Eenie said...

a ha ha haaaaa! 26! SHE'S SO OLD!!!! that pinata is AMAZING, guys. Take a bow.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize that making the pinata was such a production! Or that I was so old.....

Thanks again for the awesome gift! And the dent in the wall. That's right. I'm blaming it on you.

Eric Brown said...

Funny that you would think I am to blame for the dent in your wall. I wonder what gave you that impression.

Buglet said...

I'm just going to go ahead and say it: is there anything Rachel can't do? Seriously Rachel, your competence knows no bounds.

Anonymous said...

ha ha! Impression. That's funny. That's a notch above most of my puns. I am sinking into a depression. (Just to be clear, those are supposed to be puns too. They are probably a bit of a stretch...)