This is my personal blog, started in the fall of 2007 when I took off on a bike trip down the west coast of North America. That was back when I (arguably) had interesting things to say and worthwhile photos to post. Now that I am not doing anything remotely interesting with my life I am not exactly sure what the purpose of this blog will be beyond wowing you with my extensive vocabulary and incredible whit.


The following disclaimer still applies:

Perhaps it is easiest to state what this site is not to be used for, because really, all else goes. It is not to be used by potential employers creeping on my online profile in order to determine whether I am a suitable candidate (I am and you should hire me) nor any other form of sizing up, especially in comparison to Enid, the blogiest of bloggers. Otherwise, it is no holds barred. So, unleash your politically incorrect comments laden with sexual reference and offensive language. I will do the same. Consider this fair warning and an advanced apology to anyone I might offend.


As does this quip:

It is my hope that this site helps us keep in touch, freeing me from writing tedious mass emails, because quite frankly, I can't be bloggered.

Read on!


Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Suspicious Cyclist in the Nexus of Irony?

Originally I sat down to write about being refused entry to a bank because I was wearing a suspicious bicycle helmet (I kid you not, I was told my bicycle helmet was suspicious and that I couldn't enter until I removed it) but I have been distracted by my current location in what I believe to be the nexus of irony, the focal point of hip in Vancouver.

I am in a coffee shop in the triangular block north of Broadway, between Kingsway and Main. To my right is a young woman knitting, of all things, a brown doily. She is wearing a blue sweater with silver pearls spaced evenly apart in a grid pattern across her chest. She is in her mid 20's. To my left is a guy wearing another sweater (hipsters love ironic sweaters.) His is bunchy and brown with a crocheted horse on the back. He is wearing skinny jeans, tired baby blue converse sneakers and his ironic facial hair just made me throw up in my mouth a little.

Yeah, I am being a total snob. But you know they are judging me for typing on a PC. I counted five Macs in here at one point and only one PC, my own. This is most definitely the nexus of irony and all things hip.

For more analysis of hipsters and their ironic movement, see Enid's post on March 1st 2008.

No comments: