This is my personal blog, started in the fall of 2007 when I took off on a bike trip down the west coast of North America. That was back when I (arguably) had interesting things to say and worthwhile photos to post. Now that I am not doing anything remotely interesting with my life I am not exactly sure what the purpose of this blog will be beyond wowing you with my extensive vocabulary and incredible whit.


The following disclaimer still applies:

Perhaps it is easiest to state what this site is not to be used for, because really, all else goes. It is not to be used by potential employers creeping on my online profile in order to determine whether I am a suitable candidate (I am and you should hire me) nor any other form of sizing up, especially in comparison to Enid, the blogiest of bloggers. Otherwise, it is no holds barred. So, unleash your politically incorrect comments laden with sexual reference and offensive language. I will do the same. Consider this fair warning and an advanced apology to anyone I might offend.


As does this quip:

It is my hope that this site helps us keep in touch, freeing me from writing tedious mass emails, because quite frankly, I can't be bloggered.

Read on!


Monday, October 1, 2007

The Past 24hrs: it doesn't rain until it pours and flats always come in pairs

Well, I am in Portland a day early, and while I'd like to say that it is because I pedaled my ass off to get here, I have to admit that it is actually the result of hitch-hiking the last 70 miles into town- not my proudest moment.

It's hard to know where to start, but I guess a good place would be two nights ago, rolling into camp around 8pm, in the pitch dark after 77miles (130km) of pedaling and two flat tires. It wasn't all that bad actually. The rain had stopped and I had two micro-brews to drink, courtesy of my waitress at lunch who had delivered them to my table in a paper bag for me to enjoy at the end of the day. I went to bed that night tired, but satisfied.

I woke up the next morning in a puddle. Overnight the rain had collected under and all around my tent, and it continued to pour while I broke camp and set out for the day. The rain didn't stop for 12miles of biking into the wind, at which point I ducked into a truck stop for a cup of coffee. Once I had warmed up a bit and gathered my courage, I walked outside to get back on the bike only to realise I had my third flat. Just as soon as I changed the tube, I had my fourth. These flats were irreparable as they were right at the valve and there wasn't a bike shop anywhere close by. So, I dragged my bike, my bags and myself out to the interstate in order to hitch a ride to Portland. I was picked up fairly quickly by I guy headed south. I threw my bags and bike in the back of his truck and jumped in.

Now, this isn't the way I wanted to cross the Washington-Oregon State border, but I am here now and in good shape. Really this is only a blip in what has otherwise been a fantastic trip. I have had excellent weather so far and great roads to ride. I have met some awesome people and reconnected with old friends. Here are some photos of the better moments of the journey so far.

The road into Sequim, Wa.

The Puget Sound from Seattle

The nocturnal view from Eric Howard's Seattle apartment

The road South-west of Seattle

Portland, Or.

3 comments:

Julia Huys said...

Hey Eric! waaaaa! how are you? things look great...a little ironic, but that is sure to happen. I love the blog. How's the cycling? are you feeling good? the weather? are the days getting shorter? This is honestly probably the best fall I've experienced in Ottawa, and I haven't been out to Gatineau once! It's just incredible though, super nice weather. I got into a MASSIVE bike accident about two weeks ago, which entailed me flying over my handlebars and doing a faceplant into the road. I tore up my face, my tooth went through my cheek which required stitched, and I couldn't tell the ppl who found me my name for a good half an hour until the ambulance came! yeah. but I'm actually healing up amazingly and now you can hardly tell I fell at all. My bike is f-ed though, which is sad. Things in Ottawa have been crazy, for various reasons I'm not quite ready to post on a blog, but i miss you...and I'm so proud of you. I'll write a personal email some time in the future, things have been hectic. take care, Julia

DTMB said...

Hey E,
Sounds like a couple of really shitty days. Way to hang in there and troop it through. It is all part of the adventure though and those days will not be forgotten for a lifetime.

I just put the thanksgiving turkey in the oven it should be a gooder. We are going to miss you tonight. The troops are getting together for dinner and keg'er to follow. This is the holiday of gluttony.

You haven't been missing any good weather up here. We have had down pour after down pour. Quadra Island had 4 notable landslides during one down pour. Winter seems to have come a bit early this year. Anyways I wish you safe travels. I hope the weather holds out for the rest of your trip. Take Care, mb

Buglet said...

Brown! We are going to miss you at this Kegger. I for one, am going to drink a few in your honour. When everyone starts reminiscing about you in a sickenenly positive fashion (last night J assured the skeptics among us that you were, in fact, very good-looking) I will remind them about how you stick waffles down your pants and stick your stinky armpits in people's faces. And the summer you declared showering to be overrated. Have a gooder.

Robs